Friday, July 3, 2009

Farmer's Cocktail


Although my tattered copy of Herbst and Herbst's The Ultimate A-to-Z Bar Guide has served me well for years, I decided that it was time to resort to one of the classics. The Mr. Boston Official Bartender's Guide is a classic, and most decent bars carry a copy of the thing. I was able to get a copy on half.com for a couple of bucks (actually, the shipping was more expensive than the book), and will hopefully get it in a couple of days.

As far as today's drink was concerned, I couldn't find anything on the history or lore of the Farmer's cocktail; for that matter, even the "Kup's Indispensable Cocktail," its best known alias, yielded nothing. I'm sure there's something out there on this sucker, and I'd be deeply appreciative if anyone could send me some info.

At any rate, this is another super-simple cocktail. Basically gin, sweet vermouth, dry vermouth, and bitters, it has a beautiful caramel color and a slightly creamy taste. Overall, it's a really tasty, easy-to-mix drink.

If you want to go the "Kup's Indispensable" route, drop the vermouths by a third, halve the bitters, shake instead of stir, and garnish it with an orange slice.

Farmer's Cocktail
(from The Ultimate A-to-Z Bar Guide)

1 1/2 ounces gin
3/4 ounce dry vermouth
3/4 ounce sweet vermouth
2 dashes Angostura Bitters

Stir ingredients with ice; strain into chilled cocktail glass.

No comments: